Like a mother hen gathering her chicks around her, I love all of my CMEpalooza sessions with equal affection. But I will admit that I do have a special fondness for whatever session ends up in the last slot of the day. That slot always has the toughest row to hoe and regardless of topic or start time, always has the fewest number of viewers. It has always been the case with live conferences and it is the case with virtual conferences, too. (Note from Scott: Derek, stop giving away our secrets!)
With that in mind, I would like to give a plug for everyone to stick around for the last session of CMEpalooza Fall 2020: CME Pop Trivia! I, Derek (not Scott), will serve as the all-knowing Quizmaster for four rounds of CME trivia…and a sprinkling of pop culture, too. I have requested the services of four noble Questionmasters to develop four questions in four topics and they all graciously accepted.
- From Questionmaster Brian McGowan: CME History
- From Questionmaster Scott Gorman: ACCME Commendation Criteria
- From Questionmaster Tricia Wilson: Standards for Commercial Support
- From Questionmaster Jon Simmons: Your Editor’s Top Pet Peeves About Your Proposals
After each set of 4 questions, there will be an extra question based on some piece of arcane pop culture trivia that will have no relation to anything else. Why? Because it’s fun!
There will be music. Why? Because it’s fun!
There will be drinking. Why? Because it’s fun!
Lengthy side note: It is the last session at the end of what is always a long day, so yes, I plan to take advantage of the situation and have myself a beverage while hosting trivia. Feel free to join me.
The drink of the day will be a Manhattan (note from Scott: Yes, Derek is an old man). No need to Google a recipe when I am here to help.
My preferred Manhattan is as follows:
- Fill a cocktail shaker half full with ice
- Add 2 oz rye (Bulleit is nice, Rittenhouse is better, and Dad’s Hat Vermouth Finish Rye is my favorite)
- Add 1 oz sweet vermouth (Antica Formula is excellent and Dolin Rouge is also nice. I suppose you can use Rosso, too, just don’t tell me.)
- Shake in 3 dashes of Angostura bitters
- Cover and shake until the shaker freezes your hands
- Strain into a glass (you’re supposed to use a coupe glass, but seriously, who even has those?)
- Add one, maybe even two, Luxardo cherries. DO NOT USE GENERIC MARASCHINO CHERRIES. Look, if your idea of fine dining is a 4:45 reservation at Applebees, well-done steak with ketchup, and a bottle of Bud Light, then maybe regular old Maraschino cherries are for you. Otherwise, trust me on this one and spend a few extra bucks on Luxardo. They make everything better.
- Pro tip: after adding your cherries, scoop out a little of the cherry syrup and mix it into your drink. You will thank me later.
- Grab your drink and get ready for trivia!
There will be prizes. Why? Because of the generous support from our prize sponsor Haymarket! (First place gets a $250 Amazon gift card. Second place gets $150. Third place gets $100.)
We will be using Poll Everywhere, so if you want to be super-prepared, you can go ahead and download the Poll Everywhere app.
I really hope that some/many/all of you can join. It should be a fun time and who knows? You might even learn something.